Mouse over days to see events
Click to adjust the size
There are currently no upcoming events.
There are currently no prayer requests.
Immanuel United Church of Christ had its beginnings on October 29, 1876 when nine men met with the Rev. Carl Kraft and organized the Immanuel Evangelical Congregation in Sedalia, MO. Rev. Kraft had been sent by the home mission board of the Evangelical Synod of North America into western Missouri to organize a church to serve the German speaking people in the area. Nearly one-fifth of the people in Sedalia were German.
The new congregation held services in buildings, homes, and other churches until the first house of worship was constructed through volunteer labor and materials. The 60 by 20 foot frame structure was dedicated in April, 1878. The congregation then numbered more than 20 families. However, the congregation grew rapidly and in 1882 the sanctuary was remodeled and enlarged to seat 200 persons. By 1890 the congregation was well established. Sunday School was held every Sunday afternoon. German school was held every summer, the Ladies Aid Society met regularly, and the Young People's Society was organized.
The cornerstone for the church at the present location was laid in 1896. In 1955 a service building attached to the church was completed. The Wicks organ purchased in 1909 is still in use today. Through the years remodeling and the addition of central air have kept our over 100 year old House of Worship beautiful and standing strong to serve the needs of Immanuel and the community. In 1994 the UCC Pre-School was started. In 1995 the sanctuary was completely remodeled.
The most important aspect of our history has been the on going Christian programs, Confirmation, Christian Education, Ecumenical participation and concerns of the community and the world.